Tuesday, November 24, 2009

George

This photo is in black and white and George is a 10 foot 2 or 3 inch tall african elephant. We are walking away from the camera on a cement pad with huge elephant size fencing around us. I'm 5 foot 3 inches and am carrying a bucket of food and an bull hook (a stick with two metal points at the end, one straight and one curved)
This is George and I at the end of 2006. He's castrated bull (the oldest in free contact: without a fence between the elephant and handler at all times) and was 25 years old at the time. A bull hook is used much like a leash on a dog, it *can* inflict pain but is used as a guide rather than a threat, comparable to a gentle leader or like device. This is after my family got a personalized, private meeting with the elephants and the elephant enclosure, they were allowed to pet, feed and watch George perform some of his commands.

3 comments:

  1. That's Georgie! He was approx 10 ft 2/3 inches at that point! Sweet elephant, I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just in with him last week, well with all three actually. I went with the OSU pre-vet club and they took us behind the scenes of everything.

    ReplyDelete