Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh, G-Free, How I Love Thee!

I LOVE that the girls in my family are all on the same boat when it comes to gluten-sensitivity. We've tried so many gluten-free things in the past couple weeks! Most of them were okay, some of them even delicious!

We've had gluten-free bread, noodles and soup. This past week we had gluten-free pizza, gluten-free homemade soup, cornbread, cheesecake! (YUM) and a ton of other things that are naturally gluten-free.

Alex and I have been eating pretty healthily, in fact we didn't buy any junk food on our weekly shopping trip. We eat a lot of salads, steak salad, chef salad, chicken salad, taco salad, regular ole' salad, whatever else we can think of. We have steak and salads, steak quesadillas, fun, new stuff, new combinations.

Food is interesting again. It's strange, my diet is restricted yet food is more interesting than it ever has been before. Gone are the days where if I'm hungry I go to the freezer and nuke a corndog or burrito or drive to get fastfood. If I'm starving I grab fruit, cottage cheese, a quesadilla, or some salad. It's a very different mentallity, I eat to stay healthy and functional, I no longer eat because of the sugar. I'm doing much better about not craving sugar and salt, instead I grab some starchy potatoes ;-) It'll take a a few weeks for the cravings to go away, but we'll make it.

Interestingly enough, despite the fact that gluten-free food is more expensive, we actually spend Less money on food every month. Celiac disease has forced me to be a better wife and take my health more seriously. I hope to lose some weight now that I've layed off the salt and sugar but that probably won't happen. I haven't gotten to enjoy the full effects of being gluten-free due to my untreated hypothyroidism but I've noticed enough to keep at it. Hopefully when I go on medication in the next month or so for my hypothyroidism I'll need less sleep (still need 12 hours of sleep of night to feel OK) and be able to lose some weight!

No news on puppy yet, won't be any that will be shared publically anytime soon. The private blog is being updated, so check it out if you'd like :-D

I'll try to keep up on updating more regularly, we'll see how that works out though.

1 comment:

  1. Diets are sure "fun"!

    Sounds like you are doing well!
    Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete