Thursday, May 13, 2010

New Puppy, Anniversaries and Mountain Dew

Okay, so there really isn't a single thing in this post about Mountain Dew, but I have a bottle sitting on the desk so it was good inspiration *wink*

About the new puppy. He's an 11 week old purebred Golden Retriever that is very dark red, with a darker face mask and a very blocky build. Just think, at 11 weeks he's approximately 24 pounds, Eclipse was 13! His name is Copper and he's a real doll. He arrived on Saturday and already knows "Sit" well enough that we're working on generalizing it in other parts of the house and outside. He is also learning to sit for his food and is close to mastering the down hand signal. He's loves his food and fish oil, which is a good thing because his skin desperately needs it!
Not only is he an absolutely stunning dog but he's brilliant! You see, he learned "sit" by hand signal in only two training sessions and I added the verbal cue just yesterday. Now I think he's just offering the behaviour while we're training but he sits everytime I ask him to. I'm doing clicker training with him and he's a smart little fella, he's learning his name and how to potty outside. The most amazing thing is that I just met this puppy on Tuesday! Yeah, I said he came home on Saturday, but not to my home :-P

Actually, I'm training him for a family friend. They have a hard time with puppies (they've had somewhere around 6 puppies in the past year [I know! I don't agree with it and they know it but I can't do anything about it]) and can't get potty training or manners down at all. Neither do they know how to tire a puppy out or contain it. When things get rough (accidents on their new very light carpet, crying in the crate, chewing things up, other misc puppy issues) they tend to throw in the towel and give up on the dog all together. I've tried helping them before but on a limited basis, they never were real invested in working with the dog it didn't seem. This time, though, it was a bit different. They went to Salem and go this Copper from a breeder (same breeder as that post). It's my belief that he could potentially be from the same lines as Elly and Evett due to his build, personality, overall look and the tell-tale sign, the darker mask just like Evett had at his age. Not only have they invested in a puppy manners class but they asked at on of questions about getting him comfortable in his crate, housebreaking and obedience training. When they realized that they simply couldn't remember everything I was telling them they hired me to help them. I go to their house for 4-5 hours a day and work with him for short time periods but also make sure everyone in the family knows what we're doing, his potty schedule and just provide them with some peace of mind. I just hope it works as there are five people in the house (two grown children and a teenager) and they all have their own styles dealing with dogs and all of them are mostly correction based, which I'm hoping we can get them all on board with clicker training after seeing how effective it is. We'll see as time goes on and I'll keep everyone updated.

Anniversaries.

Sunday was the anniversary of the much dreaded and hated "swap". Here's the post about that.

There's another anniversary in the house though! Eclipse's rabbit was purchased one year ago today and it's on it's last leg. Okay, so it's been on it's last leg for some time now but I wanted a stuffed toy to last a year in our house and it did after a little doctoring! So, we have a new addition in the house and the rabbit is stepping down from it's role as one of the favorite stuffed toys among our canine pals.
The bunny the day we bought it last year
Eclipse's sister Eola enjoying her new toy!
The bunny has remained a favorite toy, and pillow, since it's adition to the family
But it's time to pass the torch to a squirrel. It's a Kong squirrel that has no nose, eyes or stuffing but has replacable squeakers.
Kira investigating the new addition
Eclipse letting Kira make sure it's safe (which is surprising as Eclipse usually steals today from Kir)
Ah, the joys of a new toy!

In addition to a new toy Eclipse also got a new addition to his diet! His food tubes arrived yesterday and while I've yet to get a chance to work with him with them I do have one prepped and sitting in the fridge. I mix canned Caindae Grain-Free with canned pumpkin. Not only is he going to be getting that mixture for training but he's also getting a teaspoon (or two depending on the meal) in with his normal meals to help regulate his digestive system. So far so good, no gas today, thank goodness!

That's all from here, whenever I get over this bug I caught and have more energy I'll post about using the food tubes in Eclipse desensitization as well as little Copper's progress!

Ally & Alex w/Eclipse, Teddy & Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment